Pages

Friday, May 18, 2007

Book #18 The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I finished The Road last night after reading it in three short days. The first night I read over half of it and proceeded to have the worst nightmares in at least a decade. When I finished it I was, as usual, in tears.

The Road is unlike anything I've ever read. I've heard mixed reviews on it and I understand why it might not be everyone's bag, but I loved it. The simplicity of the dialogue, the beauty of the language and the unbelievably complex plot presented in an easy storyline all blended together to create a work of art.

Jodi was frustrated about the lack of apostrophes and quotation marks. We discussed the reasoning for many modern writers (both short story and novelists) choosing to leave out dialogue quotation marks. McCarthy did it, I believe, because the world the characters were living in was a completely different world than our own. The lack of apostrophes and quotation marks actually helped add to the overall mood for me. The characters didn't have a single thing to spare from beginning to end, and the language and lack of punctuation reflected that.

Overall I really, really loved this book. It's the first McCarthy I've read, and I'll definitely read more, although I think The Road was a singular experience.

No comments: