Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

Okay, just a few more things about Michael Perry...

Off Main Street is my current Michael Perry read. I know...I can't stop myself. Though I've already talked about his humor and his reflectiveness, I need to talk about location.

Michael Perry lives in the environment I would love to live in, but I'd never be able to pull it off. Every time he talks about his community and the people who live in it, I want to pick up and move there. The trouble is, you can't just pick up and move to a small town. The type of community he describes is one that gets earned over decades of being around. Loyalty to your spot. Plus, no matter how much I want to be, I am not a small town girl. I taught in a small town for a year, and it was so damn hard, everything was difficult.

And I'm sure it's not all fun and simple enjoyment, but when Michael starts talking about his garden, and working on his truck, and the annual Firefighter's eating event (chicken? spaghetti? can't remember...all I remember is that he said that some people call in an order and pick up their food to go, which cracked me up.), it makes me want to shut down my suburban life and head for the hills. The fact that he lives in Packer country doesn't hurt anything either.

Michael is going to be speaking in Minneapolis coming up in the next few weeks. He'll be at the University of MN bookstore and Magers and Quinn on Oct. 3, and the Roseville Barnes and Noble on Oct. 4. I'll be at one of the three--probably Magers and Quinn. Wait--scratch that. I have class that night. Nevermind, I'll be at BN on Oct. 4.

No comments: