Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A fascinating turn of events...

I wasn't going to say anything. I was going to just let it go, smiling and continuing on my merry way, but given the fact that I appear to be establishing something of a pattern, I guess I'm going to speak up.

It has come to my attention that, for the second time in under ten years, an ex-boyfriend of mine is marrying the girl that he dated immediately after (or slightly while... those lines can get so damn blurry, can't they?) dating me.

The first time was a work situation, and I was just a baby: 24 years old. I didn't even know what hit me. I was dating this amazing 32 year old guy, and then all of a sudden he was spending a lot of time with another friend of mine. A lot of time. He worked it so that he told me we should date in secret (work, of course) and also told her they should date in secret. She finally confided in me that she was dating this awesome guy, and, well, they married less than a year later. I still remember the exact moment where I ran into the two of them together and knew that they were dating, and they knew that I knew, and it was AWKWARD.

But, I lived, I learned. I decided then and there that I would never be someone's rebound again. Well, six years later I forgot myself. I wandered openly and willingly right smack into a rebound. He even said--I don't know which of you I want to date. I shudder to recall how honest with me he was at the start and how I just nodded and smiled and walked right into it. We dated for around five months before he ended it, citing a lack of a desire to get married. I asked if it had anything to do with "her." " 'Her?' he asked, wide eyed. 'Noooo, it has nothing to do with her.' "

Hook, line, and sinker.

So, I guess the best I can do is promise myself to be more vigilant. Or, resign myself to the fact that I make guys really want to get married....just not to me. Ultimately, of course, Guy #1 is still happily married and, while we're sort of friends, I can't imagine being married to him. I'm sure it's the same with Guy #2, though it's still a little early to directly compare the situations. I'll let you know in five years.

No comments: