Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2007

The light at the end of the tunnel

After a week of bad work, of crazy-busyness, of bad eating and too much time spent with people, today was the day I'd been waiting for. Actually, three particular hours were what I was waiting for: the border-battle between the Packers and the Vikings. I don't know that even the most die-hard Vikings fan actually thought they might beat the then 7-and-1 Packers, but even I could not have predicted the bounty of goodness that fell down from the skies at Lambeau Field today.

A shut out. 34 to Zero. My two favorite announcer quotes:

"It doesn't look like the Vikings have any intention of scoring any points today."

and

"This Packer defense is protecting their shutout."

Erica and I went to dinner at Chanti Grill and then to Target and Barnes and Noble, where at least one person in each place spoke to me about the game. The Vikings fans were walking around dazed and silent...the Packer fan who was the hostess at Chanti Grill grinned gleefully at me as she said "we fuckin' hammered them!"

It's always a great day in Packerland. Today, however, is an extraordinary day.

No comments: