Pages

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The unveiling of Book Plan 2008 and one resolution

I've been thinking a lot about this year's book plan and how it's going to fit in with my new obligations. It's very important to me that I find a way to balance teaching, college, reading and writing, as well as continuing to lose weight and become healthier. To that end, I've decided not to slam myself with a huge wall of resolutions like I normally do, and I've also decided that, though the number 100 is important to me, it's not possible for me to devote the time to novels that I have in the past.

Book Plan 2008:
Read 100 short stories in 2008. I am a short story writer, and I should read a lot more stories than I do. I think that by reducing the quantity of reading I'm expecting of myself but keeping with what should, theoretically, be my favorite genre, I'll be successful.

Resolution #1:
Quit smoking. For real. I took my first drag on a cigarette on my thirteenth birthday. That means I've smoked for over half my life, and I'm only thirty-one. Unacceptable. I know that I have the strength to do it; I need the desire to do it. I think I have it....at least today I do. And, I can't think about never smoking again; I have to think about not smoking today. Today only. And I can do that.

No comments: