Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A good guy, gone too soon.

Last night I went to pick up my friend Lisa for our dinner date. As I rounded the corner onto her block, I saw police cars, lights, etc. "Uh oh," I thought. My first thought was that I hope something hadn't happened to my friend, so I texted her to let her know I was there. Tried to find a parking spot. I avoided the cop cars as much as I could, but eventually had to drive past them to park, at which point I saw the medical examiner van tucked between the cop cars.

Called Lisa to let her know that someone had died in her building. We were both sobered by this idea, her especially because it was her building. She said "I heard the ambulance but I didn't think anything of it."

An hour later she got a text from a friend: "Do you know Derek Boogaard?" Lisa texted back, "Is he dead?" Text response: Yes.

Unbelievable.

Derek Boogaard, dead at age 28, a life cut way too short. I can't believe I was at the place where it happened. I can't believe I saw some of it happening. And, I can't believe that I won't see him on the ice "enforcing" anymore. So sad--a true loss to the NHL and to all of us here in MN.

No comments: