Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Why I love the weekends...even when I have to spring forward.

My friend described the weekend so aptly yesterday, I had to share.  She said "Friday is like taking off a too-tight shoe."  Yes.

Lately my weekends have been an exercise/food preparation free-for-all.  Friday I come home from work and collapse (except this last Friday was a "work from home" day), and I try to use a new recipe on Friday night for dinner.  Saturday is the big exercise day--usually 2+ hours of a spin/yoga combination.  Grocery shopping for fun new things.  Sundays are for teaching yoga, spinning, and prepping the food for the week.  I've finally gotten something of a system worked out for my food prep; now it's just a matter of sticking with it.  This week's menu includes homemade mac-and-cheese, broiled chicken, pumpkin protein muffins, and homemade oatmeal.

The weekends have allowed me to learn how to cook.  I've always been pretty afraid of my kitchen...using it only to heat up pizza, make popcorn, and boil water for rice.  The fridge was a very convenient place to store Diet Coke and green olives.  The pantry stored my chips.  Now, though, I've found that I really enjoy cooking. I love following recipes (I'm not an experimenter...yet!) and having food in my fridge each day that I know everything about.  I know the calories, I know what's in it, and I know when it was prepared.  I know that I'm the only person who has touched it, and I know exactly how long it sat out.  (Control issues much?)

So, this weekend--perfect weekend. Gatsby spent part of Sunday puking all over the place, so HE probably didn't think it was all that great, but we took the laser out tonight and ran around for awhile so I'm pretty sure he had a good day.

Now...onto the week.

No comments: