Pages

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A mercifully easy day

Boy did I need a three day weekend. I went back to school this morning and everything seemed to flow better. The kids have relaxed into the system and they seem to be happier now that more people besides them are in school.

Grammar is going better. I think the kids trust me a little more now that we spent almost four days on complements. They know that I'm not going to force them past things they don't understand. Today we moved on because we've beaten them to death, but they were ready and happy, I think, to learn something else.

The scope of my planning for Belize is beginning to come clear. I leave in less than two weeks, and I've started packing--in my mind. I'm still having a hard time believing that this trip is actually happening. I was talking last night with my writing group about the experience. I will be completely out of my comfort zone. I've never travelled completely by myself, I've always gone either with people or to people. I'll be with all strangers, and not just any strangers, but famous ones. I'll be in a country I've never been in, eating foods and doing things that I've never imagined doing. I'll be without phone or internet, without any of the comforts I depend on, for at least seven days.

I hope that I don't overwhelm myself and ruin the experience. I want to savor everything.

No comments: