Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Book #4: Ordinary People by Judith Guest

During my last entry on a book (which was, yes, tooooo damn long ago) I recorded that my next book would be The Cell by Stephen King. That didn't work. I'm not really sure why, except to say that Ordinary People seemed to call me from the shelf. I found myself skimming the King book (which I HATE to do, particularly with King I love to savor every word) so I could mark it off as a book. So, I took the book away from myself until I learned to appreciate it.

Ordinary People is a book I've owned for some time and wanted to read for years. I've seen the movie, and now I'm a huge fan of the book. It, like The Color Purple, made me cry at an unexpected part.

It did make me wonder, though, about how much writing has changed over the last couple of decades. Would a story with little action that takes place primarily in the heads of two characters, filled with dream sequences, based on two events that happen prior to the book's time frame make it today? I really don't think so. But it is an amazing book, and it makes me wish that Guest's style of writing was still allowed in mainstream fiction.

I'm not sure what my next book will be. I'm on page 78 of The Historian, but I stopped reading it when I had to go back to school in early January and I think I need to start over. I kind of want to read something short. At the rate I'm going I'll be reading 12 books this year, not 100. I have a lot of catching up to do. At the same time, I don't want to cheat by reading shorter books. And Spring Break is coming up.

Okay, book #5 will be The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

No comments: