Pages

Monday, March 13, 2006

Oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful

Snow days are a bonus for which teachers dare not to dream. Last night Erica and I went to see Failure to Launch, which is, as an aside, the funniest movie I've seen in a long time, and on the way there she said that there were 7-10 inches of snow expected.
We agreed that this was the fifth or sixth time that the meterologists have predicted such truama and agreed that if Erica was the Superintendent she would give a snow day at least once a year.
When I went to bed last night I begged the snow to pick up pace. The streets were wet but still black. I sighed and went to bed, knowing that I'd be seeing my little sunshiney children bright and early this morning.
But, the eternal optimist, when I woke up at about 5:30am, I peered at the tv. When my vision cleared enough to see it, I waited patiently (but without much hope), for my school to come up. Miraculously enough, it did!! A two hour late start!! The joy of this caused me to run back to my bed and bounce around on all fours and thank the vocational gods that they led me to teaching.
I began to drift back to sleep, planning out when I would wake up.

Then, a thought occurred to me. What if they changed it and cancelled school all together? A seed of hope grew within me, but again, I dared not hope and kept my eyes closed until I couldn't stand it any longer. I opened my eyes and looked.

Cancelled. School was cancelled for the day.

I couldn't stand it. I had to get out of bed since I was now too excited to sleep. Getting a snow day is like God saying "Hey, you were going to die at 8am, but I've decided to let you live until 4pm. Enjoy!" It's a free eight hours.

Absolute bliss.

No comments: