Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Book #6 To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Now this is more like it. Three days. And now I've finally read TKAM and know what all the fuss is about.

Not that I was that impressed. I liked it, but I think that I may have outgrown some of its charms. If I had read it in high school like I was supposed to, it probably would have changed my life. That being said, in chapter 31 when Boo is in Jem's bedroom and Scout tells him it's okay to touch him, all of the description that precedes that and follows it made the whole book worth reading. I loved the courtroom scene and all of the meaning behind it. I loved that I really didn't see very much coming (other than what I already knew).

I haven't seen the movie but will netflix it asap. This is funny--I was picturing Calpurnia as Esther Rolle, the mom from Good Times, thinking she'd be perfect. Turns out the role was played by Estelle Evans who happens to be Rolle's sister. I can't find any pictures of her but I bet they look pretty similar.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that my experience reading To Kill a Mockingbird has been a pleasant, enjoyable one.

Next on the list is White Ghost Girls by Alice Greenway.

1 comment:

The Shoreline Student said...

I love that book! I'm glad you enjoy it. Actually, I'm named after the author. My mum liked the book so much, she named me after the author. She read me the book when I was four and I've loved it ever since.