Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Book #19 Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

I'm sure that part of what is ailing Jodi is that she's still reeling from the knowledge that I made it to age 30 and 2 months without reading Catcher in the Rye. Well, I've now read it, and I'm going to put it in my ever-growing list of favorite books.

Holden Caufield is nothing like I expected. The book was nothing like I expected. I love the way he talks, his repetition for emphasis, his feelings on pretty much everything. I laughed, I hoped, I got nervous for him, and at the same time, as a 30 year old, I wanted to push him a bit too.

Holden is like a student I had a few years ago. Too smart for his own good, he would act out occasionally and make stupid decisions, but he also read Ulysses in less than 13 weeks. And really READ it, he didn't just buy the cliff notes version and fake a paper on it.

I'm so glad that I finally read this. I bought King Dork at Jodi's recommendation, and she told me it was necessary to read Catcher first, so I did, and it was definitely its own reward.

No comments: