Pages

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A book meme

Jodi posted a new meme on her blog, and since I am a follower I will also do the meme.


1. One book that changed your life?

The Great Gatsby. I didn’t read it until college and I don’t think anyone should read it until they’re about 25. Reading it too young ruins the experience. I fell in love with Gatsby and Nick, and then fell apart when their circle of friends did.

2. One book you have read more than once?

The one that always stands out is Misery by Stephen King. I read it in junior high something like 12 times. I would finish it and then turn back to the first page and start over again.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I wouldn’t get bored with it and it’s got enough layering to keep me reading over and over.

4. One book that made you laugh?

Hmmm. Well, recently was George Saunders’s In Persuasion Nation. Definitely humorous, but not all the time. It’s not a “funny” book.

5. One book that made you cry?

The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve. It made me cry and cry and cry. Then I cried some more. I can’t say why, though, because it would ruin the book.

6. One book you wish had been written?

The 13th Janet Evanovich book. It will be written, but I wish it already had been.

7. One book you wish had never been written?

Another Planet by Elinor Burkett. It hurt a lot of people I care about.

8. One book you are currently reading?

Suite Francais by Irene Nemirovsky

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Everyone I know is raving about it and it’s next on my list.

No comments: