Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Book #13 The Prop by Pete Hautman

I started reading Pete Hautman last fall and had stuck primarily with his young adult novels. The Prop is an adult novel and is a delightful combination of genre-detective-fiction-meets-literature. The narrator, Peeky, reminded me of Stephanie Plum from the Janet Evanovich series with her spunky nature and her ability to get trapped in less-than-ideal situations.

I found myself thinking about Peeky even when I wasn't reading the book, which is always a sign to me that the author has done his job. The book deals with poker and Hautman taught me a ton about the game and about how to read people all while still telling a story. I love to learn things while I read and Hautman never disappoints me in this regard.

I'm slowly working my way through Hautman's collection...my next book will be Mr. Was, a book I've tried to start a few times but have always had to put down for one reason or another.

No comments: