Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Book #20 The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I picked this book up on recommendation from a student who was writing her novel project paper on it. She described it to me and I was intrigued by the idea of a story told from the perspective of the dead.

The book was fascinating, full of well written prose and characters that I will miss now that the book is finished. The plot follows the story of Susie Salmon and her family as they move on after her death, an event we find out about in the first sentence of the novel. It is Susie's story and it is not...and I loved the overall concept.

The more I read the more I am finding that I require a quick opening, but more than that I want the promise of suspense and delivery of it throughout the novel. Though there are many questions that are not answered at the conclusion of Sebold's novel, the answers that are given are real, satisfying, and serve a certain justice that most readers want to see.

No comments: