Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Book #21 White Oleander by Janet Fitch

The only thing I knew about White Oleander before reading it is that it's a movie with Michelle Pfeiffer. And, I knew that it called to me from the shelf every time I walked by it in the media center at school. So, I grabbed it during the last week of classes and read it.

To say that it wasn't what I thought it was going to be is an understatement. I thought it was going to be fluffy...more chicklit than literary. But, to my delight, it was a well-crafted story with a main character I adored.

The novel may have gone on a bit too long in parts, but overall it was well paced and I was surprised how quickly I read it. I did take a few days off to slow myself down--this was one of those books that I wanted to savor, to last forever.

I've got my laundry basket full of books to read this summer. The goal is fifty, which seems like a lot but that will put me in good position to finish out at 100 by the end of 2007.

No comments: