Pages

Friday, September 07, 2007

Book #41 Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

I heard somewhere that the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer was going to replace Harry Potter as the next "must read" young adult book, so obviously I had to add them to my list.

I was shocked at my level of interest in this first novel, Twilight. After getting into the first few chapters and being introduced to Bella and Edward, the two main characters from two very different backgrounds, I was hooked. The plot is interesting and tight from beginning to end (though I wish that Bella's mother had been handled differently throughout) and the writing was breathtaking in some parts.

If there were books like Harry Potter and Twilight when I was a young adult, I missed them. I was a huge fan of Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine (before Goosebumps), but even those cannot compare to today's YA writing. Harry Potter and Twilight serve a very important purpose in literature: young characters facing realistic adult problems. The language doesn't talk down to readers and the conflicts are deeper than who slept with whom who is taking whom to the dance.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series. Hopefully Meyer won't stop with a trilogy.

No comments: