Pages

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Book #42 New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

I spent yesterday after I got home from work until early this afternoon indulging in the second book in the Twilight series. I slept for a few hours and ate a bit, of course, but other than that I rarely stopped until I finished all 563 pages.

The main character, Bella, resonates so much with me. There were some particular aspects of this novel that rang particularly true, but overall it's her personality that I identify with the most. I've already mentioned that the novels are incredibly well written, but this book went deeper than just the writing style.

The plot has complicated immensely, but every new problem seems natural. The only part of the book that I found unbelievable was the fact that Bella had to watch Romeo and Juliet as a senior in high school. That wouldn't happen; R & J is a freshmen class Shakespeare. Vampires, werewolves, none of that rings false to me, but don't go putting the wrong Shakespeare in some random place. It was forgivable because Romeo and Juliet fit very well with most of what was occurring in the novel.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again: Meyer is a masterful writer for young adults. Her characters and their emotions are palpable. I have the third book but I'm going to wait with it for awhile, since it just came out recently. Like Harry Potter, I need to pace myself.

No comments: