Pages

Monday, November 26, 2007

Yoga Monday

Mondays have become my favorite day of the week for the simple fact that I get to finish out my night with Yoga. I could do Yoga every day, of course, and I will eventually do that. But for now, Monday night Yoga with Molly Mayer is the best part of my week.

I've been very lucky with teachers...my first fiction class was with (infamous) Rob Voedisch, and I stayed with my interest in writing because of him. Molly is similarly inspirational. She's absolutely beautiful, first of all, and she has the gentlest touch of anyone I know. She works with us to guide our poses, and when she touches me I can feel her energy. It's totally weird....but in a good way, obviously. She does Thai massage and I know at some point I'll visit her for a formal session.

I'm learning so much about how to treat my body. I am so self-abusive; I always have been. I somehow see pushing myself or neglecting myself as some sort of badge of honor--either "Look how hard I'm working" or "I don't have time to take care of myself." But at the end of the day, my body is really all I have. Yoga is teaching me how to both strengthen and coddle myself. I've noticed such a difference in myself--both mentally and physically--since I started in Molly's class. Yoga is something I must continue with.

No comments: