Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Book #48: 1984 by George Orwell

Yeah yeah, I've never read 1984. But, though I may have been the last person on earth to read it, I finally did. A student nearly had an aneurysm when I told him I'd never read it and brought it to school the next day for me.

It was exactly as I thought it would be. I can't say that it was particularly horrifying or troublesome, but it was definitely compelling. I found the relationship between Winston and Julia very interesting. I've always been fascinated by (and involved with) secret affairs, and their relationship was proof that a book needs at least two characters interacting to be interesting.

I wonder if 1984 could be published today. I don't think so. I think it moves too slowly and is too heady. But, I love the concept of creating a world that could so possibly come out of the one that we have now. I love that I knew exactly where Orwell was talking about.

Overall, I'm glad I read it because it's a book everyone (especially an English teacher) should read. Did it change my life? Not so much.

Book plan 2007 is coming to an end. I want to read two more books to round out the year at 50. If I can hit 55 that would completely awesome. I'm thinking that, at this point, 100 books isn't so much going to happen.

No comments: