Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thinking about...

Right now, with lots of good stories to tell about the final night of class and Grumpy's, I'm thinking about my best friend and how she's having surgery tomorrow.

Jessie is having a hysterectomy to clean up the pre-cancerous that her doctor found a few months ago on her cervix. She went through several procedures but her doctor kept finding more and more cells that varied in degree from mild to severe dysplasia. The most effective way to "cure" her is to remove her cervix.

It's hard for me to imagine that my best friend is having such an "adult" procedure done. We won't be able to exchange stories about tampons, or match our cycles, or do any of those other ultra-girly things anymore. That's such a minor thing in the scope of what could be, but there's still a loss there.

And if anything should happen to her, I don't know what I would do. Her doctor told her that typically the surgery is easy and textbook, and in only a few extreme cases do bad things happen. Jess reminded him then that of the three procedures she's had with him already (the pregnancy/labor, the testing for bad cells, and the removal of her fallopian tubes) none of them have been textbook; he's always been surprised in some way. I'm praying that there will be no surprises tomorrow.

Her mom will call me when she's out of surgery and everything is all clear. Hopefully this surgery will take care of the problem...her doc said that if she walked out of his office today without doing anything, she'd have full blown cancer in little more than a year. I don't know quite how I'm going to sleep tonight, or how I'll work tomorrow until I know that she's okay.

No comments: