Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ravenous

I'm absolutely starving. All the time. I'm doing that whole Meredith Baxter Birney-Lifetime movie-bulimia thing without the purging. I can only blame it on the fact that I've removed meat from my diet and therefore my body is always in want of the one thing it can't have. But, if I told you everything I ate today you'd hurl on your shoes.

So, what to do? Continue eating like a state fair hog and gain 30 lbs? Eat meat? (Isn't there a short story about a person whose hunger can never be satiated? I think there's meat involved there too.) Starve myself? Rest assured, I'm not losing any weight.

I think I may need to trot over to Whole Foods and find some good meat substitutes. I'm a little afraid to go in there, but it's either that or continue nibbling away at vegetables and fruits like a vegetarian Rainman until I eventually explode and go out and kill myself a steer.

Okay...going to make some popcorn.

6 comments:

Myfanwy Collins said...

Isn't it "Thinner" by Stephen King that you're thinking of? Doesn't the guy eat and eat and yet keeps losing weight or something like that?

shokkou said...

Afraid to go in to Whole Foods? Why? Legumes are nutritionally a good meat substitute. Falafel patties. Hummus. I eat chick peas right out of the can with a little italian dressing on them or sometimes just plain. Eggs are another favorite unless you're a strict vegetarian and don't eat eggs. But if you do eat eggs, an omelet with cheese is nice and filling. Plus, drink a full glass of water before every meal. For a meat substitue product Boca Burgers taste pretty good. Eggplant can be made in to some tasty meat-ish substitute. I like eggplant balls (instead of meatballs) on my spaghetti.

Kelly said...

It IS Thinner--thank you! That was driving me crazy. He eats and eats and just gets hungrier and hungrier.

I've tried chick peas and hummus and I'm totally not a fan. I *love* eggs. Need to learn how to make omelets. I didn't like the eggplant I tried recently but I was told it was overcooked so I'll try it again. How do you do them as "meatballs"?

Yes, water. Must remember water. Thanks for the tips! Keep 'em coming as you think of them!

shokkou said...

this version looks like the one i use: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Aunt-Marys-Eggplant-Balls/Detail.aspx?src=rss

Kelly said...

Awesome--thanks! I'll give it a try. Oh, and whole foods only scares me because it sounds so damn *earthy*. Like I know I need to bring my own bag in, right, or the extreme treehuggers will pummel me on my way out. Okay, so I exaggerate. But still, you know me. New things are terrifying.

shokkou said...

Oh! Hahahaha. If you HAVE a bag that's fine, but if you don't they will provide bags. Bottom line, WF is a business and they're in it for profit like any other grocery store. I don't know what yours is like but the one I go to has an excellent food bar with all kinds of salads and stuff for take out. Check it out. Don't be skeeerd.