Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes we can? No...yes, we DID.

We made history tonight. It's hard, even as writer, to use mere words to describe what took place in America this evening.

I need to say, first of all, that it's the power of a great leader to take three simple, one syllable words, and create a mantra that not only speaks to people, but inspires them. "Yes we can." The power behind those words--aren't they magical? And not just to African-Americans, not just to Democrats or to American citizens.....say the words to yourself. Think of something you've been doubting. Something you've been questioning. And then say those words to yourself. "Yes, we can." Are you inspired? If not, say it again. And again. And again.

It's hard to understand the true depth of what happened tonight because I don't have the full history of it. I read about the civil rights movement in books. I don't know what it is to come out from under the thumb of slavery and total oppression to being the leader of the "free world." For black Americans that I saw on tv tonight, and in the bar where I watched the election, it wasn't the relief I'm feeling from the last eight years...it was the relief of a hundred years. Immeasurable.

I spent the evening with good friends, and this was an election I'll never forget for the rest of my life. I'm so proud that I was a part of it. That I was a voter in this election and did my part to create this history that will endure forever.

No comments: