Pages

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Top Played Songs of 2008

One of the highlights of New Year's Eve is going back and compiling my top played songs of 2008, according to my itunes. It's not entirely accurate, as I often listen to CDs in the car that don't get counted here. For example, I listened to Idina Menzel's 'Defying Gravity' probably a thousand times, yet it didn't even make this list. Oh well...she's well represented.
Following the title and artist, in parentheses, is a brief reason for why the song made the list.

1. Fix You: Coldplay (yoga)

2. Hometown Glory: Adele (yoga)

3. Gotta Be Somebody: Nickelback (driving back and forth to yoga with Molly)

4. Bleeding Love: Leona Lewis (yoga)

5. Mamma Mia: Meryl Streep (I *heart* Meryl Streep; summertime)

6. The Garden: Mirah (Love this--first heard it on So You Think You Can Dance)

7. Praan: Palbasha Siddique (I talked about this amazing song here back in July)

8. Breathe Me: Sia (Last song in the series finale of 'Six Feet Under' and it's still one of the most beautiful songs ever)

9. It Ends Tonight: The All-American Rejects (I like the piano and the lyrics)

10. Shattered (Turn the Car Around): O.A.R. (This is a new favorite of mine...I love the lyrics and the tune)

11. Turning to Peace: Paul Schwartz (yoga)

12. I’m Yours: Jason Mraz (This song made me smile the first time I heard it, and every time since; driving back and forth to yoga with Molly)

13. The Last Thing On Your Mind: Lights (Driving to my first yoga classes, when Molly was my teacher)

14. Bixby Canyon Bridge: Death Cab for Cutie (The lyrics..."play like it did in my mind"...I dig the way it's sung)

15. Red Rain: Peter Gabriel (This was on the mix for Fabulous Camping Trip '08)

16. Rehab: Amy Winehouse (Who doesn't dig this song?)

17. Won’t Go Home Without You: Maroon 5 (The first song on my running mix)

18. Open Your Eyes: Snow Patrol (Loved it, then they played it on CSI and I loved it more)

19. This Woman’s Work: Kate Bush (This was the death-preview for Sara on CSI...and just a
good tune that I first heard in college and forgot about for around 10 years)

20. Love Story: Taylor Swift (Totally my new favorite song. I think of driving back and forth to the funeral home...just 'cause that's when I mostly listen to it)

21. The Worst Pies in London: Helena Bonham Carter (Clearly my favorite movie/musical of 2008. This song survived over the others in the soundtrack because, well, it's Helena Bonham Carter!)

22. The Winner Takes It All: Meryl Streep (This song gave me chills in the movie. I adore her.)

23. So What: P!nk (The first time I heard this song I hated it. Now it's the ringtone for Best Friend Jessie)

24. Brave: Idina Menzel (Listened to this every day driving to Biology/Algebra/Chemistry)

25. Where Do I Begin: Idina Menzel (Listened to this a lot during the Fabulous Camping Trip '08 and subsequently driving to Biology/Algebra/Chemistry)

No comments: