Pages

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Returning to the mat

The last time I stepped onto my yoga mat was December 22nd...before the insanity of Christmas had taken hold and shaken me to little tiny pieces. Tonight I returned to my mat and, if this class was any indication, 2009 is going to be a fabulous year of yoga.

There were only two of us in the class, and the teacher was new to me but still fabulous. I like the smaller classes because I can breathe easier and pace myself much better. This was my smallest class; the smallest I've had before had three people in it. As soon as we began our first sun salutation, I could feel an energy returning to me that has been absent since before the holiday. My muscles cooperated through my dogs, my warriors, and my balances. And, at the end, I was able to rest my mind during savasana.

Teacher training starts in just over a month. I'm excited and nervous, but I know that this will be an amazing way to enhance my practice. Assuming I survive it, of course.

I need to get back to a regular practice. I'm only supposed to practice 2-3 times a week, because of my shoulders, and only intro level classes. But, soon the day will come when I'll be able to step back into a C2 class where I'll sweat off a few pounds in an hour and detox my system. For that day I cannot wait.

No comments: