Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Balancing yoga with business

I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of being a certified yoga instructor. In that time, I've taught over 200 classes and private sessions. I've gone from teaching one class a week to teaching eight...currently at five. And, as with many aspects of my life, the issue I struggle with is balance.

I just looked at the websites of three friends who are all "yoga friends". They began in the same place I did--teacher training at CorePower--but seem to be doing more with their yoga profession than I am. As I type that statement, the proverbial angel and devil are perched on my shoulders:

Angel: Don't compare yourself to others--yoga is your journey and you're doing everything you can. It's not about them, it's about you.

Devil: Look at how much they're doing--look at their websites! Look at their organized pricing! You could do so much more if you just applied yourself.

Ugh. So, I'm needing to find the balance. Teaching full time, teaching yoga for 10 hours a week...it's enough. And, in the summer, I'll be able to pick up more in a reasonable way. I think I'm lacking a specific goal, and that's what I'm picking up on. When I began teacher training, I set goals. When I was finishing and embarking on my career, I set goals. Somewhere along the way I met, forgot, or abandoned my goals.

NEW GOAL: In June of 2010, I will have a designed, live yoga website for my yoga instructor career.

There--now the angel and devil can pipe down :-)

2 comments:

Leah said...

Hey! Just popping in to let you know, I decided to start making entries on my livejournal public again (with some exceptions if need be). I also put a lot of thought into it and decided I should write more often again. So if you ever want to visit - vixenofflames.livejournal.com

Also, balance is incredibly important, but so difficult to come by! I'm rooting for ya!

Kelly said...

Yay! Thanks for letting me know--checking it out now :-)