Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yay feedback

Yesterday I got my first "here's what we'd like you to improve" feedback from one of my yoga studios. Taking it in the spirit in which it was intended, which it has taken me 24 hours to do, it's very helpful. The clients want the class to be stepped up--harder, more intense, less predictable, etc. This isn't even negative feedback. It's a request--and it's a completely valid one. I know that the class isn't as difficult as the clients want it.

The trouble is, the class IS as difficult as I'm comfortable teaching it. There are certain postures, certain flows, that I don't want to teach because I can't do them myself. It's sort of like teaching a book to my English classes that I haven't read. Can I do it? Sure. Can I do it well? And to the betterment of my students? Not a chance.

So, what do I do? I haven't been comfortable teaching the class since I got it. I don't know if it's weird chemistry, my lack of confidence, the early hour (7:30am), or what. Maybe all of the above plus a few other elements. I've subbed out the class the last few weeks as a pure avoidance tactic. I have two choices:

1. Suck it up and keep teaching the class. Use the feedback the best I can, change up the sequence the best I can, and try to make the class a happy medium between what I can teach and what the clients want.

2. Step away from the class for a few weeks. I'm doing an additional teacher training in a few weeks that I'm hoping will help me increase my skills. In the meantime, I can work on some seqencing and practice.

I don't know what to do, but I need to decide quickly. I don't want to look like a big quitter, but the fact is, I think I'm in over my head here. And, honestly, I've been teaching yoga for less than a year. It's fair that I'm not ready to teach advanced classes. I think. Or maybe I'm just making excuses.

No comments: