Pages

Friday, June 07, 2013

Destination California: Day 1

Today, the opportunity to drive for 8 hours without interruption from email, bells, student questions, and packing was the best start to a vacation I could have possibly asked for.  I hit the road at a little after 1pm, and bid a fond farewell to pretty much everything I've ever known.  Some I'll return to, and some I won't.  It still hasn't it me yet that I'm no longer an English teacher.  I packed up my entire classroom--13 years worth--in 3 days and it's now sitting in boxes in my spare bedroom.

I landed tonight in Lincoln, Nebraska.  It was just after dark, and it was clearly time to stop. Gatsby was driving me nuts and I was getting really stressed out for no good reason.  Almost 2 weeks of 2-3 hours of sleep a night finally caught up with me and I was about done.  I'm so grateful to be taking this trip--it is going to be the experience of a lifetime.  But it wasn't easy getting here, I'll tell you.  But now that it's just me, Gatsby, and the open road?  Life is pretty damn good.

No comments: