Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Wednesdays are my head pounding days

I have a writing class on Tuesday nights that has a lot of really fun people in it. So, after we crit, rip, praise and otherwise review a few of our stories during the two hour class we all head down the street to the local watering hole for some beer and karaoke.

Last night I sang "Because the Night" by 10,000 maniacs. I have to say that singing karaoke is truly a singular experience. You've got the nerves beforehand (unless you're a pro, which, dude, I am so not), the stalled moments of actually singing where you're thinking "Does this sound as good as it does in my head? I'm really rocking it out!" Then the incredible "plane landing" whoosh of energy and adreneline that comes afterwards when your head fills with fuzz and you're shaking and laughing and your friends are hooting and applauding you and it's just fucking fantastic.

But...then comes Wednesday mornings. I work at 7am with teenagers. And, while I love them dearly and certainly want to be my best for them, I just really can't justify being the girl who leaves the party too early. I would have stayed out all night last night if I could have. But, alas, Big Girl Adult Responsibilties took over and I left at 1am, got home at 2am (and yes, I was sober, and yes, I was safe.) So today, my eyes are screaming "Why are we open?? We should be closed and dead to the world! We should be sleeping for at least another 5-6 hours! What's the matter with you, woman?!?"

And that is a question, now, isn't it!

And, I'd like to give a shout out to my first official "not-a-friend-reading-this-because-I-told-them-to" fan Gary LaPointe. Check him out at: http://garylapointe.com/mypointe/

No comments: