Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Thirteen questions left and I feel like an ass

Well, I've spent most of the day alternating between answering those infernal essay questions (of which I only have thirteen left, YAY!!!!!) and bitching because I've aggravated the fracture in my foot from last year by being somewhat irresponsible with my running. I never thought to check with my doctor, I just started a running program and, last week when my foot started to hurt I just figured it was a cramp. Today, though, when I was parusing webmd I came across "stress fractures" and the dim light bulb in my head got brighter. I felt over the place where the bone had cracked in my foot and WOWZAA, yeah, that was pretty much it. So, I've gotten the ice pack back out and wrapped it in its handy little brace, and I've been cranky all damn day.

That is, of course, until I watched TLC's "The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off." Then I sat and cried for an hour. Jonny Kennedy was 36 when he died, and this documentary shows the last three months of his life, including showing him shortly after he passed away (during filming) still in his wheelchair. He was funny, inspirational, and wise beyond his years, and I'm sitting on the couch bitching about how my stupid FOOT hurts and this guy has a disease where his skin literally can't stay attached to his body. It's called Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa and, man, if you're looking for a cause to support I'd suggest checking this one out. It's a horrible disease, absolutely heartbreaking, and Jonny shows it all on camera. He's strong, but he shows his weak moments too. I won't forget Jonny Kennedy for a long time...hopefully I'll never forget him. I'm sure they'll air it again, as it was the 2004's International Emmy Award for Best Documentary. Check it out.

No comments: