Pages

Monday, July 04, 2005

The 4th of July

The fourth of July has arrived, marking the halfway point of my summer. I love fireworks, drinking beer by the side of the road while they explode above me. I remember parades as a child, in St. Cloud with my grandma and grandpa and cousins, getting candy thrown at us while everyone celebrated America.

What I don't like is that it seems that the fourth of July has become another multi-purpose holiday....like Christmas is both for God and for greed. The fourth of July isn't only for patriotism, but for judgement and political grandstanding. I'm against the war...completely...and I'm against Bush as well. Couldn't be less of a fan, but as a female and a teacher I don't think that's a real surprise. But I know a number of people who are avoiding parades, avoiding festivities because they believe that people who ARE celebrating are supporting the war.

Since when has being patriotic equaled supporting the war? Can't a person be patriotic simply because he or she loves America and is proud (and exceedingly happy) to live here? Thank God we have a 4th of July to celebrate, in my opinion.

And let me also just say, not enlisting and not acknowledging the military will not end the war. It will only put the soldiers that are already there, some of which have been in for years, far before an active war, in more danger. Bush isn't going to say "hey, teenagers aren't signing up anymore, we better cancel the war." Bush doesn't care about teenagers unless they can vote. And lots, LOTS, of students who wouldn't be able to afford college, which costs about a billion dollars a year, can afford to go because they enlist. I was fortunate enough to be able to afford college, but I have to say that if my family couldn't afford it and I was looking to work at McDonalds for the rest of my life or go to college and have a better shot at getting a job, well, yeah, those recruiters would look pretty decent.

No comments allowed on this one; I don't want to get into a pissing match about the war. This is my two cents and my blog.