Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Mock Single People Day

Okay, so I gave up on Valentine's Day a long time ago. Right around the time I had to sit in a classroom all day on Feb. 14th without decorating a shoebox with crepe paper and crayons. At first, I was lonely. Why don't I have a boyfriend? Valentine's Day seemed to have the sole purpose of making me feel alone because everyone around me was suddenly paired up, if only for the day.

As the years passed, I began to see the unfairness of Valentine's Day towards both single and coupled people. No longer was Valentine's Day a day to appreciate your loved one, but it became Hallmark Day, Chocolate Day, FTD Flower Day, and Diamond Day. I decided the commericalism was just too much. And it's a low blow, too, rubbing it in the faces of people that you either a) don't have a signficant other or b) you have a significant other who doesn't love you because he didn't buy you anything.

And then I read this.

All of the people who have been telling us for years that Valentine's Day is the day of LOVE have suddenly said, "Hey, they're onto us! Quick! Give them what they want!" So now they're insulting our intelligence again by suggesting that if we don't love Valentine's Day then we hate it. We must smirch the holiday and ruin it for people who enjoy it.

They can come and get me in the middle, in the every day sort of way that I tell my friends and family that I love them because I do, 365 days a year (sometimes 366), and that I'm fine being single, I don't love it, but I don't hate it, and most of all, I don't identify myself based on it.

When Hallmark comes out with a card for that, then I'll buy it.

No comments: