Pages

Monday, February 26, 2007

Hitting the showers

One of the ways I've come up with to reward myself for a "level 5" exercise day (when I work myself so hard I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to move the same way again) is by treating myself to the Ultimate Shower. I take my time (Al Gore would so shake his finger at me) and I use my favorite yummy smelling body wash and I breathe deeply and relax all of my muscles. People who know me well know I do my best thinking in the shower, but on these days I don't think about anything except myself and how awesome I am. How much better I'm treating my body. How hard I'm working and how, for the first time in my life, I'm doing it all for me and not for a boy, or for a job, or to get someone's attention, or to win a contest.

The reward doesn't end with the Ultimate Shower, though. Afterwards I take time and use my favorite lotion, I brush my teeth, and I smile a lot in the mirror. If I'm staying in for the evening, I don my favorite pair of sweatpants and a tank top. If I'm going anywhere--even back to work or out for coffee--I dress myself up. I do the make up, the hair, cute clothes; I totally girl myself out.

My level 5 work out days are my favorites. Today I ran four miles, and I kept a pace I haven't been able to keep before. Joe pushed me during the last quarter mile, encouraging me and getting me to amp up my speed even more for the last tenth. Tomorrow is a two mile day, nothing after today's push, and it's 3-4 miles the rest of the week except for Thursday, the day of rest.

No comments: