Pages

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Up the Down Staircase

We opened the show tonight and it went fabulously well. I absolutely adore my theater kids. Their spontaneity, their energy, they're just fun to be around. I have not told them that this is my last show. I didn't want it to interfere with anything, and I just want to enjoy my time with them. I do know, though, that there will be kids who will be blindingly upset that I didn't tell them (I'm planning to announce it at the party following our set strike). They'll wonder why I didn't tell them earlier. I know this because if I was in high school and my director was going to quit I would want to savor every last moment with them and establish memories. I'm not giving them the chance to do that, to have the experience knowing that it's the last time, and I know that some kids will feel cheated. But, the adult in me has won out here over the theater kid in me, and I know I'm doing the right thing....but...yeah.

No comments: