Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Year in Review

So...how'd I do? My resolutions for 2009 came down to sheer will, some luck, and, uh, forgetfulness. And as I sit here on the eve of 2010, drinking champagne and watching the Wild suck it up, I'm feeling pretty good.

I broke up my resolutions into two categories: personal and writing. Here we go.

Personal resolutions:

1. Do not spend more than I earn.
Success. I've managed to pay down a lot of my debt and live on what I make. Granted, I added three jobs to my workload, which increased my income, but the resolution is an affirmative.

2. Keep house clean.
What kind of a resolution is this, anyway? Did I mean to keep it clean ALL THE TIME? Please. Nothing like setting myself up for failure. Is it clean right now? Pretty much. That's what matters, right?

3. Complete yoga teacher training
YES. And I'm so proud of myself for doing it. This was, by far, the highlight of my year, and I had no idea the number of people it would allow me to meet and joys it would allow me to experience.

4. Make a decision about mortuary science (apply this year or next?)
Yes. I'm going to do the program. Sometime. I'm not applying in 2009--obviously--and I won't be applying in 2010. But, I will. Someday.

5. Run at least three times a week
Not the whole time. I did run...but this will be a new resolution for 2010.

6. Run a half-marathon
I ran a 5K and a 10K, which, together, are almost a half-marathon :-)

7. Do yoga five times a week
Probably average, I did. There were weeks where I didn't do any and weeks where I did 10 or more classes. The point is, I think, that I have a regular yoga practice and it's keeping me healthy.

8. Once a month, fill at least one bag to give to charity or consignment
Eh? Again, I think my head was in the right place here. I did get rid of a lot of stuff.

9. Keep my weight where it is--maximum
YES. Yippee!

My writing resolutions both soared and fell completely flat. Soared in that I published my first story--which was not, ironically, a resolution. I fell flat in that I did not do the writing I wanted to do, particularly in the latter half of the year.

So, how did I do overall? Pretty damn good, I'd say. I lived well, learned a lot, met new friends, kept the old friends, stayed alive, and am here on the eve of 2010 smiling away. Yes, damn good indeed.

Look for 2010's resolutions soon.....

No comments: