Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Apparently my calendar is a closet

Over the last week or so, I've been absorbing this:




And by "absorbing" I mean I've got the notebook out and I'm doing the exercises throughout the book.  Hard core, right? Tell me about it.  But, here's what I've learned:

1.  Your calendar is like a closet.  If you organize it by type, keep it updated and purged, it's super easy to navigate.  If, on the other hand, you keep everything, shove things in pell-mell, and keep your socks in the same drawer as your skirts, well, you're going to have a problem.

2.  It's no surprise that I'm tired and stressed out all year long.  My closet is full of clothes that don't fit and are a hundred years old.  If my calendar is like a closet, which Julie (yep, first name basis here, peeps) says it is, it makes some sense that my goals, activities, and day to day activities are both outdated and cluttering up my nice new stuff.  So, when I look in my closet in the morning and can't find a thing to wear--and when I go to sleep at night and have no idea where my day went, it's basically the same thing.

3.  I have goals for every area of my life....except my job.  I had no idea.  But, now that I do know, it somewhat explains my "professional student-switch careers-wait no get dual licensure-wait no just do the masters-wait no let's do our admin license now too" kind of life I've been leading for the last five years.  Nothing like a shit-ton of action with no goal in mind.  Oops.

4.  Both 2 and 3 are solvable--and I'm so going to do it. I've been writing goals.  I've been tracking my schedule.  And, when I go back to school this fall, I'm going to be smarter about how I spend my time.  I'm going to organize my closet AND my calendar.

And, if you click on the link above and order that fabulous book, I promise you won't be sorry.  For real--think about what your closet looks like right now....do you really want to live in that all day long??  Yeah, I didn't think so.

No comments: