Pages

Monday, March 17, 2008

May the luck of the Irish be with ye!

A couple of years ago I had an experience on St. Patrick's Day that changed the entire way I live my life. There were lots of jokes about my unluckiness, given my Irish name and all, but looking back on the experience, the luck of my countrymen certainly was with me that night. It's interesting to think back to where I was exactly two years ago tonight, who I was with, and how different I was. Truly, it is our experiences that shape us.

Last year I ignored this "experience anniversary," but the year before, a few days after it happened, I alluded to it slightly. Kind of funny to read that now--how excited I was to be writing when I haven't written a word now in about six months. Hm. Of course, prior to that I hadn't written in nearly nine, so I guess it's sort of my M.O.

St. Patrick's Day used to be a day of national pride, drinking and partying. Now, it's a day of reflection and thankfulness that I am who I am and that I have the friends and family that I do. Two years ago I was standing outside a bar arguing with a future boyfriend about cigarettes. Now, well, I couldn't be further from that girl and that loss is only a giant gain in the end.

No comments: